tlug: Website announcement

Dear TLUGers--

I'd like to tell you about _the unnamable_, a website I'm putting
together. Although I've been working on it on and off for several
months, I've only now got it to the point where I feel comfortable
telling the world about it. _The unnamable_ is (becoming) a diverse
collection of stuff loosely centered around the theme of "creating
documents and text processing" on free software systems. It's aimed
more at beginners than experts, so I imagine most of you will not find
anything there that you don't already know, but if you'd care to have
a look at it, I'd really appreciate your comments on my work.

Current features are:

* a quick guide to word processors and DTP programs for Linux
* a collection of techniques for converting text files between UNIX,
DOS, and Macintosh formats
* mapster, a Tcl/Tk-based HTML image map editor

Although everything on the site is fair game for constructive
criticism, there are a few things I think need special attention:

* the reference page (click on words like "free" or "TeX" and you'll
find it) -- are there any gross inaccuracies?
* the page on the "KDE controversy" in the word processors section --
didn't want to include a link to KWord without mentioning anything
about why some people dislike KDE ... but I may be setting myself up to
get flamed.
* my approach to links: I've adopted an approach where all links in
the middle of paragraphs are on-site links; many of them lead to the
reference page, where I briefly define terms and provide links to
other sites where people can get more information. To make a long
story short, I feel that most sites give too little warning of what
lies ahead when you click on the links, and I felt this might be
better ... but I'd like to know what you think.

The URL is

http://unnamable.home.ml.org/

or, if that isn't working, the real address is

http://www.sh.rim.or.jp/~mgushee/

Dewa, minna-san, douzo yoroshiku!

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido