tlug: PPP blues and purples

Quick newbie question:

I ran 'dmesg | more' and noticed that there was
no mention of 'PPP' in the results.
I understand there should be something like
'PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright
1995 Caldera, Inc.' and 'PPP line discipline
registered.' in there.

Before I download and install whichever file
is needed to adjust the kernel, I want to be
sure that those dmesg results necessarily
mean that my kernel was not configured to
run PPP when TL 2.0J Standard was installed.

Also, is making the PPP connection any easier
with Redhat or other Linux flavors?

Thanks.

             Tony Laszlo  laszlo@example.com (Jiyugaoka, Tokyo)
_/_/_/_/* ISSHO:  http://www.iac.co.jp/~issho/thismonth.html