tlug: Re: ISSHO / palmtops

Hello Irene,

> is everything o.k.with your TurboLinux system now?

in my dreams...I decided to take the plunge when
a friend of mine went on about how easy it was to
exchange email in Chinese, Korean and Japanese.
Easy? he must have been joking.
But that's my main interest: before my Mandarin
and Korean get any worse I want to use this
system to send email and browse in those languages.

> Some time ago I saw that mail of yours on tlug, and that reminded me
> of the fact, that I haven't received any issho-mails for quite a
> long time now. Aren't there any, or have I fallen off the listserv
> for some reason? I guess I had been registered with an old Japanese
> address, which might be a problem.

I have resubscribed you with your current email address.
For others, a description of ISSHO and the ISSHO Digest
can be had at http://www.iac.co.jp/~issho
One can subscribe by sending mail to the address below
putting the command 'subscribe issho' in the body of
the mail.

majordomo@example.com
subscribe issho

> I'll be in Japan from Nov.24 to Dec. 7, visiting Niigata, Kanazawa,
> Nagoya, Yokohama, Tokyo. So I wondered whether there are any events
> worth noting during these two weeks (Issho meetings, foreign scientists
> talks, ...). I probably won't have much time, but thought I'd ask
> you anyway.

I'll check and get back to you.
Perhaps you, yourself would like to give a talk on
that fascinating research you've been doing; then you'd
be the event. I think tlug folks would like to hear about it
too. You might want to post an appropriate URL here  :) .

> I was looking for a lighter alternative to my heavy old laptop
> for travelling. It should be able to exchange data with my
> linux system and should be capable of Japanese.
>
> Probably eventually I don't want to miss keybord input, but I also
> had a look at the 3Com Palms.

I saw an article in a recent Japanese computing magazine
which showed (Pocket?) FreeBSD running on NEC's Mobile Gear.
I have one of those running with Windows CE. Super slow on
certain functions; maybe running it in FreeBSD would be faster.
There's also a DOS compatible machine by the same maker.
I'm not sure whether it's the DOS machine or the Windows CE
machine that the magazine article featured.
I had a DOS Hewlett Packard palmtop that I was
very happy with. That might be something to think
about too. Of the three machines that I mentioned
above, only the DOS compatible Mobile Gear has a
keyboard which is big enough for regular touch typing.

             Tony Laszlo  laszlo@example.com (Jiyugaoka, Tokyo)
_/_/_/_/* ISSHO:  http://www.iac.co.jp/~issho/thismonth.html
_/_/_/ * Theatre: http://www.tokio.co.jp/jp/94-17-04/jp02/jp01.html
_/* Environment & Educ: http://www.iac.co.jp/~issho/seicho-insert.html