Re: tlug: shutdown with xdm

I was faced with the problem today to reboot a machine
running xdm without knowing the root password.
I tried a couple of things and the first thing that worked
was switching to another virtual terminal (Ctrl-ALT-F1 (or
maybe it was some other F-key)) and press the good
old Ctrl-Alt-Del.

/Fredric

Jim Schweizer wrote:
> On 13-Nov-98 Darren Cook wrote:
> > Also, unrelated but: I'm using xdm to start X windows
> > (xstart and X don't work). But how do I shutdown safely?
>
> Did you try startx?
>
> > When I choose quit it goes back to the
> > X login prompt. I've been switching off there, but it
> > mutters to itself next time I reboot.
>
> In a xterm su to root which looks something like
>
> schweiz:~$ su
> Password:
> root:/home/schweiz#
>
> then
>
> root:/home/schweiz# shutdown -h now
>
> should safely shut down your system. Yours only mutters?
> Mine would fsck if I just turned it off....
>
> HTH
>
> Jim S.

> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 HSBC Securities Office
> more info: http://tlug.linux.or.jp Sponsors: PHT, HSBC Securities

  Fredric Fredricson