Re: tlug: ESS 1879 sound chip not recognized under TL kernel 2.0.35

    Chris> On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> I believe it worked before, using a driver for the ESS 1688.
    >> this is now supported internally to the soundblaster family of
    >> sound modules, and fails initialization.

    Chris> Ah, come on Steve.  You _know_ how this sort of thing
    Chris> works.

    Chris> What kernel rev worked, what was the kernel configuration
    Chris> like, what is it now, what does dmesg say, that sort of
    Chris> thing.

No, it's me.  I'm just hoping that somebody might have seen this before.  I
don't have time to do anything about it personally for a while.

The message is "couldn't initialize /dev/dsp".  After that all the
modules give "device busy".  Hmm.  I'd better check that I _have_
/dev/dsp.  (Sorry, Scott.)

The working kernel rev was either 2.0.33 or 2.0.34, probably the
former.  As for the configuration...

    Totoro> 1) How about pulling the drivers out of an older kernel?
    Totoro> B-P

Time.  And 'cause this is my TurboLinux beta platform.  I'd like to
avoid mixing and matching stuff if possible to avoid complicating
Scott's life.

    Totoro> 2) $20 to get the commercial driver from OSS:

    Totoro>      http://www.se.opensound.com/

I _can't_ use this at present, unless Scott's willing to go that
route.  I want a fix Scott can use.

    Totoro> 3) The docs say that ESS embedded in SB is not compatible
    Totoro> with MSS/WSS. Did you select either of these in the
    Totoro> configuration?

No.  But maybe Scott did.  :-)

    Totoro> P.S. Since emoticons show up as the xbm's on incoming
    Totoro> mail, how come they are just text symbols in mail that you
    Totoro> are creating???

Black magic?  Naw, I'm a good guy.

Maybe I don't use the same ones as everybody else?  :-)  Nope.

I dunno.  Maybe Kyle is intentionally poisoning TM (which I know he
hates).