Re: tlug: Perl linked against libc 5 & 6 on TL2.0J ??

    >> This leads to another question though. I built it from the
    >> source rpm.  I did a rpm -ba spec-file. This built it OK, but
    >> left it in /var/tmp/Perl. I've built perl in a temp directory
    >> like this before; just tar it up and untar it to / . I'm rather
    >> ignorant about how rpm works.

    Chris> Me too ;)

    Chris> RPM is essentially against my religion.  I'm sure Scott
    Chris> will be more than happy to discuss the finer points of RPMs
    Chris> when he returns from the states.

Yeah, in general I prefer to build from a tar ball and
install. However, having looked at the RPM spec file, which seems to
be basically a shell script with some % delimited directives, it might
be useful. When I build something, I usual maintain a directory
separate from the source code, called, appropriately enough,
BuildNotes. I'll make a script with things like "configure" options,
problems encountered etc. I may have several of these, each for a
different platform. If I'm pressed for disk space, I may delete the
source at some point.

So, I was thinking that rpm might be a better, more formal way to keep
all this useful information. I still have to go through and understand
the package to be able to build the spec file, but it may make it
easier when I want to build either a new version or on a different
platform. Anyway, I'll exlpore it when I get some time.

I wonder if anyone used it like this? Of course the first question is
if RPM itself is portable...

	Andy