tlug: Why Linux?

Gentlemen & Ladies:  (there are ladies here, aren't there?)  ;-)

This ISDN business has got to get accomplished soon, or else
I've got a couple of gigabytes of drive space that <ahem> OSes that
*can* use ISDN </ahem> would sure appreciate having.  :((

(Sorry indeed to put it that way, but this connectivity would have been
accomplished *days* ago in NT or Windows [I know this to be true
because it took me only minutes to set up and use ISDN in both.], and
the Windows and NT people who are thinking about Linux and reading
these messages of ours are running away laughing.)

Here's the latest on my difficulties:  Using seyon, or a new program
called wvdial, I can connect with 3web, but nothing happens.  Apparently,
they are waiting for me, and I am waiting for them.

See below, please:

[root@example.com lance]# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.10
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: AT$N1=1
AT$N1=1
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT 5489-8200
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT 5489-8200
CONNECT 64000
--> Carrier detected.  Waiting for prompt.

(At this point there is a pregnant pause of about 30 seconds
or so.)

--> Don't know what to do!  Starting pppd and hoping for the
best.
--> Starting pppd at Wed Nov 11 14:35:32 1998
--> PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 1)
--> Disconnecting at Wed Nov 11 14:35:34 1998
[root@example.com lance]#

Anyone???

Lance (who really *does* like Linux, who likes it very much,
in fact, but who needs to be able to connect to the Net at
better than 28.8, which is all he can do in Linux)