Re: tlug: Quest for e-mail

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> First, Stephen said a lot of stuff which makes it clear that my system is
> unstable and insecure.

I saw nothing to indicate that.  Your system's (probably) ok - I think
your ISP just needs to update its DNS records for you (and you probably
need to clarify some things for them).

> For instance:
> >BTW: bash-2.01$ host -t any linuxserver.rainbow.co.jp
> >linuxserver.rainbow.co.jp does not exist (Authoritative answer)
> >Trying to send mail from this machine may occasionally get you
> >nowhere, if the other host is paranoid.
> And:
> >No, I think you're probably fine.  Your main issues are going to be
> >with the ISP though, making sure all your A and MX records are
> >straight.
>
> My A and MX records? And how do i get the paranoid machines to talk to me?
>
> And last, but not least:
> The Linux server is in another building from me, as is the mail server that
> does my usual mail for my "dave@example.com" address. When i want to
> access my "rainbow.co.jp" address, i use Eudora here on the machine in
> front of me. To access it, i typed in my e-mail address into the POP and
> SMTP fields in the set up dialogs.
> You can guess where i'm going with this, right? I tried putting in
> "test@example.com" to see what happens, and i got this error:
> ERR DPOP Offline: (Expired key)
> If i'm not breaking with reality again, this is because there is no POP
> server set on the machine. This is something i have to install, right?

Last time I checked, Redhat's inet services included ipop3d by default if
inetd is running (usually you can't telnet or ftp to the box if inetd is
NOT running...)

You could always try TurboLinux - I know THAT will set up a working MTA
and pop server automagically out of the box.  My friend from high school
with virtually zero prior UNIX/Linux experience just replaced NT4 Server
with TurboLinux 2.0.  He's using it primarily as a mail server and an IP
masq gateway for his internal network, as well as a web/FTP server.  I had
to help him with SOME stuff, but the mail stuff he did himself, he said it
wasn't really any problem at all.

Anyway, just a suggestion.  If you'll be at the December TLUG meeting I
can show you a couple of things on the TL-installed machine that the group
has set up, if you haven't figured all of this out by then :)

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)