tlug: mountd

Hi all,

All the talk about security on the tlug-admin list has caused me to take a
closer look at some of my own Linux installations.

On one box, a portscan brought up

764 (UNKNOWN) is running.

I tried telnetting to it but just got 'Connection on illegal port' messages so
I was curious as to what it was. There was no mention of it in /etc/services or
/etc/inetd.conf but /usr/bin/rpcinfo -p showed it to be mountd.

If you set up a Linux box to be just a stand-alone web server and mailing list
server and don't intend to allow nfs mount requests do you still leave the open
port?

Regards,

Jim S.