Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > where is the serial number?  On the internals at least, there is no 8390x
> > *anywhere* on the card.
>
> Dunno, never seen an internal Sportster.
>
> > really.  Even though mine are 1995/early 96 issue?
>
> 1995/6 are going to be 83900 (if it does 28.8 max) or 83901 (if it does
> 33.6).  If it's the latter, I'd get newer firmware just because.

it does 33.6k.

> Hmmm ... do an ATI6 (I think) and let me know the firmware rev via private
> email.

I will.  I'll have to install the modem to do so, but no big deal :)

> > USR makes a rackmount that you can put the internals in, and hook it up to
> > a sparc.
>
> *laugh* Why not just buy the external in the first place, then?

They cost $30 more than the internals.  Save that much money, you can buy
the rackmount (ie, save $30 each on 20 modems...).  At least, that was the
price difference at the time that I bought mine.

I had a couple of 28.8 external sportsters upgraded to 33.6k that I had at
the PHT office in Utah (still have them AFAIK), which I had set up as
dialins on a cyclades 8 port ISA card.  Worked great under Linux, and I
could dialup from home after-hours and have the entire T1 link to myself
:)

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)