Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Oh yes, USR support has a reputation, doesn't it? :-)  I will say that
> the USR Courier is a pretty darn good modem, but yeah, I don't
> recommend Sportsters either.

Support?  *snort*  "Sure, we'll ship two hundred sets of firmware out as
soon as we get them manufactured.  Maybe six months from now."

The Courier had better be a good modem, for the price that they charge.

> One of my favorites is Microcom.  Bulletproof reliability, compact, connect
> to anything, very cool-running hardware, but they seem to have fallen by the
> wayside since Compaq bought them out.  A real shame, since the Microcom
> Deskporte is a truly great modem.

Microcom made a good modem (I have one of their 33.6s), but they didn't do
too well in high-temperature environments.  I had a couple literally melt
when the temp hit 105F.  Those particular modems didn't have cooling vents
in the case.

-- Chris