Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Lance Cummings wrote:

> Kazuyuki Okamoto wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >I use box TA (for async line) and PC-card TA (for sync line).
> >You must read a TA's manual, and ask the IPS what kind line a
> type(async/sync).
>
> Well, the ISP uses a sync line, I think.  The reason I suspect this is that
> using
> the same TA in Windows on the same box, I use the sync drivers that came with
> the NEC TA, not the async drivers.  Is this a mistaken assumption on my part?
>
> >You should use init parm for suiltable parms for async/sync line.
>
> I'm sorry, but you're mistaking me for a seasoned Linux networking pro.  :))
> Can you give me some more details here?  I'm afraid I don't understand
> the line above.

Depends on your TA.  I can tell you how to do it on an AIWA TA, but NECs
probably use different command sequences.  Look in your TA manual.  Better
yet, look at the files on your TA's driver disk.  I think the .inf files
or something contain in plain-text the initstrings used by the windows
drivers.  I don't read Japanese that well, so this is how I ripped the
init string for my TA under Linux.

Hey, there's an idea, have turbonetcfg parse Windows .inf files so that
your win95 driver disks can be used to set up stuff in Linux.  Hmm... :)

> >The TA looks like a modem for kernel or via module
>
> In other words, don't worry about kernel support anyway, right?

Assuming you have standard serial support in there, you're fine.  If your
analog modem works, your kernel is configured correctly.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)