Re: tlug: IDSN & PPP problems

On 8 Nov 1998, Totoro wrote:

>     Lance> Savvy Tokyo Penguins,
>     Lance> I've long had a good ppp dialup using Red Hat (these days 5.0) and an
>     Lance> internal Sportster.  I've recently graduated to ISDN, but I seem to be
>     Lance> flunking out of grad school.  :))  That is to say, I can't connect (in Linux)
>     Lance> using the TA, although I can still connect using the modem.  Tried linking
>     Lance> /dev/modem to /dev/cua1 instead of cua0, and that does get the TA to
>     Lance> dial, but my connect script, which works with the modem, fails with the
>     Lance> TA.  Moreover, once the TA fails, I cannot get it to work again without
>     Lance> <shudder> rebooting.
>
> You _did_ rebuild the kernel with IDSN support (in the kernel or via a module),
> didn't you?

Completely irrelevant if you have an external terminal adapter.  External
TAs talk straight serial just like modems.  The 'ISDN' driver in the
kernel is for support of certain internal TAs, most of which are only
available in Germany (most of the Linux ISDN stuff is developed in
Germany, it seems).  I have no ISDN drivers in my kernel at home, and my
external AIWA AD-1280 works fine.
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 and chat-ppp0 available upon
request, but you'll need to make sure that the settings in your TA are
correct and written to NVRAM so that they can be recalled with 'ATZ'.  My
scripts use 'ATZ' as the init string...

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)