tlug: Re: Need info. about Japanese and Linux (OFF TOPIC!)

Good morning, everybody.
 I'm working at an automobile factory. So I don't know well about
electric industries. I suppose how to use Linux with industrial robots
is a technical discussion.

Fredric wrote:
> There are two questions that are important to us: do You need a GUI to
> sell
> machines? and does a GUI make any sense from the operator point of view?
 I don't often use Linux console. Is it possible to show 'Trobule' in big
red letters in your Console? Does console indicate where the trouble exists
using some diagrams?
 Generally speaking to add such functions, using X-window system is far
easy than to stick to console.

> Our users main interest is getting their products out the door.
> User interfaces is not even on the list.
> Notice how this contradicts my statement that GUI sells machines. Well,
> so what, this is the real world. Never assume that the operators get
> to choose equipment and upper management care far more about bells and
> whistles. And GUIs.
 In my factory user interface is very important to select robots or
NC machines. Still robots and NC machines cause troubles. To fix these
problems user interface is very important. Imagine the robot indicated
trobule in unknown language. While the operator is using dictionaries,
the machine continues to be halted. This might be the reason that your
customer wish to see Japanese on your console.

Cheers,
Masa Uc^ida Masatomo,Hidaka,Saitama,Japanio

<http://www1.nisiq.net/~masatomo>
<http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/linux>