Re: tlug: Re: ISDN problems

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Lance Cummings wrote:

> Nice little interface, xisp.  But unfortunately, I'm no closer than I was
> before.  Which authentification protocol should I use?  (Actually, I tried them
> all to no apparent effect.)

Use CHAP.

> I get a no carrier message about 5 seconds into the digital call.
> Specifically, I see:
>
> ATV1 H0

Is this the init string you are giving it?

> To answer your other question, the TA is an NEC Aterm IT65Pro.  And the
> manual is a bear for me to read.  ;-))

OK, take a look at 3Web's Japanese support pages.  There is an init string
there for at least one NEC TA (IT55), and probably others.  If the IT65 isn't
listed specifically, try the IT55 string.  It will probably work.  I would
look this up for you, but I don't have access to those pages from home, only
from work.  If you can't find it, I can do it for you from work on Tuesday.

If you don't give X-ISP a userid or password, do you get asked for them
when you try to connect, or does the connection die without ever asking?

There is one TLUGger who connects to 3Web using ISDN from Linux, but he
usually isn't online much on Sundays.  If he sees this, perhaps he'll be able
to hit this with the right answer pretty easily.  He's using an Aiwa TA under
TurboLinux, so the exact setup is a little different, but his scripts
definitely work.

Jonathan