tlug: IDSN & PPP problems

Savvy Tokyo Penguins,

I've long had a good ppp dialup using Red Hat (these days 5.0) and an
internal Sportster.  I've recently graduated to ISDN, but I seem to be
flunking out of grad school.  :))  That is to say, I can't connect (in Linux)
using the TA, although I can still connect using the modem.  Tried linking
/dev/modem to /dev/cua1 instead of cua0, and that does get the TA to
dial, but my connect script, which works with the modem, fails with the
TA.  Moreover, once the TA fails, I cannot get it to work again without
<shudder> rebooting.

Can somebody give me a hand while I've still got a few strands of hair
left?

TIA,

Lance