Re: tlug: Need info. about Japanese and Linux (OFF TOPIC!)

Uchida.Masatomo@example.com, masatomo@example.com wrote:
[snip]
> > Nobody, I hope. I have not seen a 486 in years but I hear they make
> > good web servers with Linux/apache. It is, however, still possible to
> > run a character based interface on a PII 450 ;-).
>  I'm afraid those who looks at character based interface might think
> the inside CPU is 486. Your competitors are using GUI interface,
> aren't they?

Well, since You ask.... (I am new to the list, please tell
me if I am wasting your bandwidth, I am not familiar with the
policies yet)

First, I work with assembly equipment for the electronics industry.
Most people here look puzzled when You say "GUI". They _do_ know what
Windows is, though. As for competitors and GUI I would say that less
than 50% has it. The most common GUI platform is Windows 95 and NT,
but You do see OS/2 occasionally.
As far as I know we are the only ones that use Linux (good for us!).

There are two questions that are important to us: do You need a GUI to
sell
machines? and does a GUI make any sense from the operator point of view?

The answers are: yes maybe and maybe yes.

You need a GUI because it look nice on exhibitions. Easy: place a
Windows
machine running some CAD conversion software next to the machine. Looks
good.
This is what most competitors do and some people in our organization
also
suggests that this is the way to go. Somehow they got the notion that
GUI
development is much easier in a Windows environment because "GUI is more
natural there". Makes my teeth ache and I may have been
not-so-diplomatic
in some responses. Well.....

Does a GUI make sense? I say Yes, as long as You don't need a mouse. To
me this has been a killer for GUIs on our machines until I saw the light
pen. GUI with a light pen is really cool. The ultimate natural
point-and-click interface. (Remember, I am talking industrial machinery
now. I would hate a light pen on my desktop).
And, of course, a GUI might make sense to display Japanese characters.

To programmers and other computer enthusiasts a GUI is almost necessary
(as long as You can run an xterm) but this is not the case on a factory
floor. Our users main interest is getting their products out the door.
User interfaces is not even on the list.
Notice how this contradicts my statement that GUI sells machines. Well,
so what, this is the real world. Never assume that the operators get
to choose equipment and upper management care far more about bells and
whistles. And GUIs.

Could go on forever about software in our segment of the industry but I
will spare You...
/Fredric