tlug: No more processes - panic!

I've just telnetted in to a misbehaving server. Here's the session:

> top
No more processes.
> ps -aux
No more processes.
> df
No more processes.
> su
No more processes.

Not too good is it. Just before this I was able to do df and the /usr disk
was completely full. The other disks all had plenty of capacity.

Q1. Was "no more processes" caused by lack of disk space, or something else
(*)?
Q2. Was there anything I could do remotely?

Someone was able to log in locally and delete some junk, and now everything
is working again.

Darren

*. Eg. one idea I had was cgi-bin programs that were waiting to create a
file lock as a temporary file on /usr so clogged up the system.