Re: tlug: About Glimpse and WebGlimse

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Chris Sekiya wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Hiroshi Hasebe wrote:
>
> > Still you can have a look at the code. If you add something useful to it
> > and/or merge the original patch into the latest version, for example,
> > then you have the option to restart the project yourself.
>
> *laugh* Now for a brief recap of my posts to tlug over the last three
> days:
>
> In the case of pine-j, I am doing so. I've finished about 75% of the code
> merge.
>
> <rant>
> The pine-j 3.96 code is a _mess_.  The canna interface code is more or
> less okay, but the tortuous logic that I've encountered elsewhere in the
> code is _bad_.  I've not seen so many gratuitous goto statements since I
> stopped reading BASIC code.
> </rant>
>
> I will then submit the code to Crispin at UW.  My questions still remain
> unanswered ... why as a rule aren't Japanese code forks merged, and why
> are they not kept in sync?

probably because the people doing the Japanese development don't
communicate with the original authors?  I'll bet many authors of Linux
packages don't even know who the PJE or JRPM folks are.

Also, a lot of japanese patches can actually break the application - ie,
they make it Japanese-specific instead of internationalized.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)