Re: tlug: Need info. about Japanese and Linux

masatomo@example.com wrote:

> Welcome to our list.
Thank You.

> Fredric wrote:
> > Our machines run Linux and we think we need Japanese characters
> > on the screen to be competitive on the Japanese market.
>  Which package are you using? Slackware? Redhat? Debian?
>  If you use Debian-2.0, most of the software necessary to use
> Japanese are included.

We base our current release on RedHat 4.1. This will probably
change for next release.
The main problem is that we do not have a GUI. We use a character
based interface (for a lot of historical reasons). I realize that
a GUI is probably required to get Japanese characters and this is
also a logical next step. The problem is, as always (sigh),
resources.

I had an idea that maybe we could make a quick-and-dirty fix using
X and a kterm (or similar) and let the kterm cover the whole screen.
(The user won't even know X is involved). We have tested this before
with xterm (for other reasons than character set) and the only problem
was performance, but performance You can buy.

There may be a problem here. I understand kterm can display kanji
but most kanji texts I have seen seems to contain occasional
characters of different types. If this is the case a pure kanji
interface may not be good enough. Could anybody enlighten me here?

/Fredric Fredricson