Re: tlug: Re: tomsrtbt & glibc (was: Lilo hosed)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

> > If you can't find /lib, you need to do a complete reinstall, no?
>
> Unless you can restore /lib from your rescue floppy.  Note the presence
> of cpio and dd on the rescue disk, but the conspicuous absence of tar
> and dump on tomsrtbt.

well, with my rescue floppy, you CAN restore /lib from it, since /lib on
the rescue floppy contains the correct glibc libraries...

> > But the point that you want compatible libs is well-taken, for the
> > beginner.
>
> The argument could be made, too, that rescue disks are NOT ordinarily
> something for the beginner.  If you ever find yourself in the position
> where you even care that your rescue disk is libc5 while your hard disk
> installation is libc6, you are well past the "here be dragons" signpost.
>
> And if the executable you need is on your hard disk and not on the
> rescue disk itself, you may be screwed anyway.  That's the main reason
> "the most you can fit on a floppy" is of interest to me!
>
> Finally, libc5 is beyond doubt more stable and better understood by more
> people.  I can actually imagine a scenario where it was an oops in using
> glibc that made me need the rescue disk in the first place!

more stable, no.  better understood, maybe.  It seems to me, however, that
MOST people who even know what the difference is prefer glibc.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)