tlug: Re: tomsrtbt & glibc (was: Lilo hosed)

> If you can't find /lib, you need to do a complete reinstall, no?

Unless you can restore /lib from your rescue floppy.  Note the presence
of cpio and dd on the rescue disk, but the conspicuous absence of tar
and dump on tomsrtbt.

> But the point that you want compatible libs is well-taken, for the
> beginner.

The argument could be made, too, that rescue disks are NOT ordinarily
something for the beginner.  If you ever find yourself in the position
where you even care that your rescue disk is libc5 while your hard disk
installation is libc6, you are well past the "here be dragons" signpost.

And if the executable you need is on your hard disk and not on the
rescue disk itself, you may be screwed anyway.  That's the main reason
"the most you can fit on a floppy" is of interest to me!

Finally, libc5 is beyond doubt more stable and better understood by more
people.  I can actually imagine a scenario where it was an oops in using
glibc that made me need the rescue disk in the first place!

Regards,
--
Rex