Re: tlug: Re: Lilo hosed

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

> > I'm sure someone else has a simpler method, but what I usually do is boot
> > from a rescue disk
>
> And for anyone lacking a rescue disk, I strongly, heartily,
> enthusiastically recommend Tom's Root/Boot Disk
> "http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html".  I can't imagine a better rescue
> disk.
>
> Simply amazing what all it contains.  IMHO this is one of the best
> examples of Linux superiority to Windows (damaging a windows filesystem
> to the point that it won't boot usually means re-installing).  The idea
> of a single floppy windows disk is ludicrous.

I've got a fairly good one myself, for TL 3.0 (will work with 2.0 too).
It'll be in 3.0 when it gets up on the FTP site.  I'll have to look at
this sucker, though, since it's got a ton of stuff... wait, oops, it has
libc5 - BAD.  If you have a glibc system, that is... glibc is bigger, but
to rescue your system, it's good to have compatible libraries.

> >From the FAQ:
>
>  Stuff included- modules, manpages, links, scripts, binaries, kernel:

(list deleted)

> All on a *SINGLE* floppy (that is quite customizable).  If you can't
> rescue yourself with this, you are in serious trouble.

.. unless you need to run a binary on your 'damaged' system, then you're
hosed if your system is glibc...

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)