tlug: Need info. about Japanese and Linux

Fredric Fredricson writes:

 > What I need is some pointers to learn more.
 > I think I have seen some reference somewhere too a book on how
 > to handle Japanese characters in computers.

The "bible" on the subject is Ken Lunde's _Understanding Japanese
Information Processing_, published by O'Reilly and Associates. It
doesn't deal specifically with Linux, but it covers most of what you
need to know.

Actually, Lunde's new book, _CKJV_ (for Chinese,
Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese) is supposed to be published in
December. If you can afford to wait a few weeks, it might be worth it,
since _Understanding_ is getting a little out of date (the basic
standards haven't changed, but a lot of new software has come out
since he wrote it).

Take a look at:

http://www.oreilly.com/

for more info.