Re: tlug: Character Encodings Again

On Sun, 1 Nov 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

> 41377 94  8481
[...]
> 65185 94 32289
>
> Do these values ring a bell with anyone? (I've been told that one side
> or the other is Unicode numbers, but that doesn't jibe with the neat
> 94x94 grouping, nor do they have any apparent relation to the 4e00 ->
> index numbers)

You can see the pattern when you convert to hex.  41377 = A1A1,
and 8481 = 2121.  So, the right side is the JIS X 0208 kuten (1,1),
and the left side is the same thing in EUC.

Since the mapping from JIS to EUC is just JIS + 0x8080, there is
no need to use a table (as there would be if it were Unicode).

You may want the Unicode table, JIS0208.TXT, from unicode.org.

--
David Beutel    "If Alien was my friend, I'd like to be with him when he
jdb@example.com      went to the dentist.  When they started drilling, he'd