RE: tlug: How to install Linux (Part 1) ...

> Why do people recommend all these partitions? I've found when I partition
> up a disk I normally regret it beause I run out of space on one of them.

	I've had that problem all the time. :(

> When I installed recently I gave 100Mb for swap, 60Mb for an msdos
> partition (so I can move files between NT and Linux on this machine), and
> the rest (300Mb or so) for everything else. (the rest of the disk is an
> NTFS partition, that Linux can't see - though I noticed kernel 2.2 will be
> able to).

	As Scott mentioned elsewhere, there's a read-only NTFS driver for
Linux that has worked well for me...

> Oh, that reminds me. Is it possible to convert my msdos partition to
> FAT32? It keeps mangling long filenames.

	NT can't read FAT32 partitions, although there's a read-only FAT32
driver for NT that you can download.  If it's your NT boot partion, though,
it has to stay FAT16 or NT won't work.

> I avoided this by using a boot floppy rather than lilo. So without the
> floppy the machine boots to NT, and with the floppy it boots to Linux.

	There's a NT-Linux mini-howto that describes how to add LILO to your
NT boot menu (you just dd out the boot partition, save it on your NT drive,
and add an entry to the boot menu file).  It should avoid the partition
location issues as well, and save you from playing with floppies.

	thanks,
	craig (olinskyc@example.com)