Re: tlug: How to install Linux (Part 1) ...

>In the documentation they recommend the following partitions:
>
>- A swap partition
>- A root partition
>- A /usr partition
>- A /home partition
>
>and additionally maybe:
>-  A /usr/local partition
>-  A /usr/src partition

Why do people recommend all these partitions? I've found when I partition
up a disk I normally regret it beause I run out of space on one of them.

When I installed recently I gave 100Mb for swap, 60Mb for an msdos
partition (so I can move files between NT and Linux on this machine), and
the rest (300Mb or so) for everything else. (the rest of the disk is an
NTFS partition, that Linux can't see - though I noticed kernel 2.2 will be
able to).

Oh, that reminds me. Is it possible to convert my msdos partition to FAT32?
It keeps mangling long filenames.

>Regarding the root partition they mention some Lilo constraints, of
>which the following will apply: "the partition that holds /boot must be
>located entirely below cylinder 1023."

I avoided this by using a boot floppy rather than lilo. So without the
floppy the machine boots to NT, and with the floppy it boots to Linux.

Darren

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)