Re: tlug: Flightgear: open-source GPL flight simulator

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Marcus Metzler wrote:

> Scott Stone writes:
>  >
>  > It runs on most Unixen, including Linux, as well as Win32 and Mac.  source
>  > is available.  a hardware-accelerator (3D) supported by MesaGL is
>  > *required*, so I can't use it on my Riva yet :( .. anyway:
>  >
>  > http://www.flightgear.org
>  >
> Did you also hear about golgatha
> (http://www.crack.com/golgotha_release/)? It is a kind of 3D Command
> and Conquer style game. It runs with 3dfx`s Glide library. They
> resently released the source code after the company that makes it went
> out of business. Since the glide library is available for win95/98/NT as
> well you can also build it on those platforms.
> It seams that buying a voodoo2 3d card becomes more and more attractive
> for Linux users whereas NVIDIA is still reluctant to give out
> information for hardware acceleration on there Riva 128 and TNT. They
> even refuse to give them under an NDA agreement (XiGraphics asked for
> that). Their argument is that there is no demand for it other than for
> win95/98 systems and even with NDA and all their data sheets a
> developer would need their continued support which they are not
> willing to give for non win95 systems.
> I hope that more games written for the glide library get ported to
> Linux so that some of those other companies have to wake up.
>
> Not that I have that much time to play games, but when there is time
> I have to shut down Linux and boot that other OS.

well, the Riva128/TNT still remains one of the fastest, if not the
fastest, 2D cards around as well.  If I got a Voodoo 2, I'd keep the Riva
for 2D stuff.  That can be done, according to the riva's documentation.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)