Re: tlug: re: Netrek

Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, tjhaslam wrote:
> >Coolness.  We will have to do a Games section at one of the formal TLUG

> This is an interesting idea, actually.  We could install game servers on some
> of the TLUG machines and have them available at meetings for network gaming
> and such.  Maybe we need to recruit a volunteer to be Game Master now :-)

I hereby volunteer for about 9 months.  Or, perhaps better, to at least
teach
someone else about getting a Quake 2 server running with 'Eraser bot'
computer
opponents playing head on or Capture The Flag.  Very fun.

BTW, Unreal, Heretic 2 (Quake like shoot-em-up's) & Starcraft (strategy
colonize /conquer) can now be played under Wine!  Haven't tried yet, but
am
hoping to really soon.

Wacky idea: Coda serving network games, with local caches (some
incredibly
small, some huge).  That would be a real test of how the coda file
system does
with hardware intensive apps, IMHO.

later,
Howard
Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)