Re: tlug: Connection Time Out Problem

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Renaud ITIER wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Every time a machine tries to connect to my server, there is a connection
> time out error. (telnet, smtp,..)
>
> The BAD things
> A telnet connects quite slowly from a machine on the same hub, to my server.
> A telnet from outside my domain to my server is not possible.
>
> The GOOD things
> I can connect myself to a remote host without any problem, and ping my
> machine back:
> 64 bytes from ... icmp_seq=0. time=301. ms
> 64 bytes from ... icmp_seq=1. time=297. ms
> My sendmail sends emails properly.
> The machine is a Redhat 5.0, i486/16MB RAM.
> It runs BIND and sendmail correctly (I hope so...)
>
> There is no httpd, no Xserver running
> I have static global IP addresses.
>
> Would you help me to fix this problem, please.
> In the hope to read an answer.
> Renaud.

you say that BIND is configured - is it providing hostname lookup for your
entire network?  Do all your other machines use your linux box as their
primary/secondary DNS?  the timeout is a hostname lookup problem almost
for sure.  Try adding entries for all the machines into /etc/hosts (on all
the machines that are UNIX-based).

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)