Re: tlug: Mounting my cdrom's

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Darren Cook writes:
>
>  > 2.When I try "mount /mnt/cdrom" I get this error:
>  >   mount: fs type iso9660 not supported by kernel
>
>  > try 'modprobe isofs'.  Seems like kerneld might not be running as well,
>  > check for that.
>
> Whoa, there! Did you, by any chance, try to mount the cdrom as a
> regular user? Believe it or not, '... not supported by kernel' error
> messages sometimes really mean, 'you don't have permission to do
> that.' Damned if I know why. So see what happens when you try it as
> root.

On my system (TurboLinux 2.0/3.0/somewhere in between, kernel 2.0.35), if
I try mounting as non-root, I get something informative:

mount: only root can mount /dev/scd0 on /mnt/cdrom

I would expect Redhat is similar.  I say that Darren's problem is a lack
of kerneld, or kerneld not running, or not running properly.

>  > Uh oohhhh, time to recompile the kernel with support for iso9660 (can this be
>  > done as a loadable module?)
>
> Yeah, almost all filesystems can be.

are there any that can't?  I can't name one.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)