Re: tlug: another sendmail problem

> OK, on my friend's machine, which is running TL (albeit he has manually
> messed with almost every config file on the system by now, so I have no
> idea what's what anymore), mail to any user gets all routed to one
> specific user.  ie, if I send mail to sstone@example.com, it ends up
> going to the address 'tovl' (my friend's primary user account).
> /var/log/maillog says, for the connection from my machine,
>
> "relay=IDENT:tovl@example.com"
>
> what's going on?  He had a 'DM tovl@example.com' in
> /etc/sendmail.cf, so we put sendmail.cf back to the original, but it's
> still doing it.  does it cache this behavior anywhere?  What's the deal?

Not completely sure if I understand the problem (gave up on sendmail a
while ago).  Your last couple of sentences remind me of something that
has tripped me up in the past though (not sure if it's a help).

Remember that sendmail only reads sendmail.cf at startup.  If mail sent
from the machine itself does what you expect, but mail received via smtp
still maintains the old behaviour, you've probably forgotten to restart
the sendmail daemon process.

Good luck,
--
Rex

P.S.  I'm back (obviously) but I'm *seriously* jetlagged and swamped
      with mail.  I've never travelled 24 1/2 hours before and not had
      to change my watch upon arrival (12 hour time difference to
      Bermuda).
Next Technical Meeting: January, 1999 (details TBA)