Re: tlug: Netscape major 'OOPS'!

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> I just downloaded and untar-gz'ed the netscape 4.5 for glibc tarball.
> Inside it I found an RPM (?) of RealPlayer 5.0, packaged by Redhat.  This
> is a commercial software package (at least, it has a commercial license
> agreement).. what the heck's it doing in the netscape tarball??

Real Player is free but not Free, so they probably have some kind of
agreement to distribute it, I would imagine.  In fact, Red Hat comes with a
basic version of Real Audio server, too.  Or at least 5.0 for Intel did.  I
don't have 5.1, but I'm sure somebody out there can confirm this.

Since Netscape is an investor in Red Hat, that probably helped swing the
deal to put it in the Communicator tarball I guess.

Jonathan