RE: tlug: HTML again

Chris Sekiya <chris@example.com> wrote,

> I'm going to unsubscribe from the TLUG mailing list immediately after
> sending this message, for several reasons:
>
> * No longer are the majority of subscribers even the slightest bit
>   interested in HOW their linux boxes work.  They just want to use linux
>   like an appliance.  I firmly believe that this is WRONG.
>
> * Although I enjoy reading about japanese-language issues (something I
>   know nothing about, but learn more with each message), I keep being
>   drawn out by messages such as the one I am responding to.  It's a
>   self-control problem, and I'd be better off not subscribing.
>
> * Common courtesy has been tossed out the window.  I am thinking primarily
>   of Mister De Hoog's attack on Karl-Max, but there have been other
>   incidents as well.
>
> * A variation on reason #1 above -- the "old guard" doesn't really appear
>   to be welcome on the list anymore.
>
> I'll respond to personal email, and I'll likely turn up at TLUG meetings
> to talk about neat stuff.
>
> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, John De Hoog wrote:
>
> > The point is, Windows gives users this whole spectrum to choose from,
> > whereas Linux does not come anywhere near it yet, as far as I have
> > seen.
>
> (snip)
>
> > The lack of the latter is, for me, a big disadvantage of Linux at this
> > point in time. So is the lack of a FrameMaker or Quark XPress.
>
> So, will you write a FrameMaker or a QuarkXPress?  If not, then keep using
> Windows.  Linux doesn't have what you need.
>
> Gah.  This is precisely why I have developed a distaste for the "Linux for
> the masses" movement.  Used to be, if you wanted a tool or application,
> you'd either write it yourself or get a couple of likeminded people
> together and do it as a group effort.
>
> Now there's an influx of people who say "gimme, gimme" but don't contribute.
>
> That's it, I'm outta here, thanks for reading,

I don't ask you to reconsider this move -- because I
basically agree with you.  I don't mind too much pressing
the <delete> button on certain threads, but I can understand
that you got fed up.  However, I think the important thing
is that I am sure there are many like-minded people -- those
people who don't need a definition of ``linux community''[1]
and who share the believe that whoever uses some free
software should be grateful to the authors and fix problems,
if they occur, instead of whining about them.

Mailing lists are an important communication channel in the
Linux community and, I feel, we should not abandon them.
Let's split the list, as proposed by some people, or do
something else to make a clear difference between the
techno-centric talk (or however you want to call it) and the
philosophical discussions about Linux vs NT or whatever.
But don't let the community be split up.  Let's ignore the
whiners (if necessary by setting up a moderated list) and
continue in the fruitful way that we all cherish.

Cheers,

Manuel

[1] See the thread spawned by your announcement of leaving the
    TLUG list.