Re: tlug: Coda filesystem

On 23 Oct 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:

> Uva Coder <uvacoder@example.com> writes:
>
> > Is anyone interested in seeing CODA in action besides me? Everyone is
> > familar with installing Linux via NFS but how about installing Linux via
> > CODA? I am willing to give it a try at a TLUG meeting if anyone is
> > interested.
>
> Hmm.  (Ponder) Should work if the hardware's up to it.  You need
> a server that provides the file hierarchy in Coda-space, and the
> client needs to be configured and run.  After that, it's just a
> matter of pathnames.  The hardware gotcha is that you need
> sufficient cache locally to handle the data.  I'm not sure how
> big that's going to have to be for, say, the PHT archive.
> Smaller than the archive, but how much smaller?  (Dunno just
> yet.)

You'd also need coda clients available to the installer.  In the case of
TurboLinux, you might be able to trick it into working with the shell on
the ALT-F2 screen.. maybe.  It'd be dang hard, though.  You might be able
to do it with slackware, though, since their boot disks are more generic
and aren't packed with as much crap (ie, kernel modules) as TL's/RH's are.

> Of course, if you're planning to run Coda on the installed system
> anyway, you'll need the cache space just the same, so no harm, no
> foul.
>
> > Or for a twist, who is interested in seeing CODA running across
> > a packet radio network or even on a cluster system? This would
> > make for an interesting topic at a TLUG meeting. If this seems
> > a bit outlandish, it is; but it would be fun doing it.
>
> Not outlandish at all!  Coda has provision for slow-line updates
> to central store; I should think it would be ideal for packet
> radio, because you'd get good speed locally off of the cache.
> Most of the academic papers that have come out of Coda are about
> mobile computing; I think that this is just the sort of
> application that the designers had in mind when they cooked the
> project up.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> -x80
> Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@
> Faculty of Law, Nagoya Univ () email: bennett@example.com
> Tel: +81[(0)52]789-2239     () WWW:   http://rumple.soas.ac.uk/~bennett/
> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)