tlug: Civility (was: Linux Community)

John De Hoog wrote:

JDH> My question is whether Linux is going to
JDH> (wants to/is able to) go on to a new stage

I don`t know what the Linux community wants--and judging just from the
reponses on this list, I`m not sure that anyone else should play prophet
either.

But I know that at least some of the current distribution will be dragged
kicking and screaming into the mainstream.  It`s happening now and will
continue.  I also hope that in just a few years, Linux does have the 20 -30
% mindshare/market share mentioned earlier.  This would a good effect on
the entire industry, even the people who never attempt Linux.  Something
that even the `old guard` can be very proud of.

As for the `Linux community,` Linux has gone from 1 user to 7 million users
in this still unfinished decade.  It`s a rather huge population, perhaps
not always well described by the word `community`.

TLUG, however, at least at the meetings I`ve attended, is a community.
People who do more than just _agree to disagree_, or _frankly exchange
views_, or whatever.  But people who conduct themselves with some measure
of civility towards each other, and who are helpful and even `shinsetsu.`

I would not mind seeing more of that on the mailing list, though I know
e-mail lends itself to flame.  Since the TLUG community at least is very
real, I think maybe we could benefit from more mutual consideration.

1.  Attack the idea--fine.  not the person.
2.  Recognize that in theory, at least, you could--at some time--be wrong
3.  Don`t judge people entirely/mostly by their e-mail behavior

Best to all,
TJH