tlug: IMG ALT tags

Jim Schweizer writes:

 > > mandatory by what standard?  Even arena, W3C's own browser, doesn't have
 > > trouble with images that have no alt= tag.
 >
 > I keep a local copy of HTML 4.0wd on my hard drive:
 >
 > From: html4.0wd/struct/includes.html#h-7.7.2

wd = working draft? Evidently they changed their minds. The final
recommendation (in both strict and transitional versions) has it as
required.

 > should observe the following guidelines:
 >
 >     Do not specify meaningless alternate text when including images intended to
 >     format a page. In this case,
 >     the alternate text should be the empty string (""). In any case, authors
 >     should not use images to format pages; style sheets should be used instead.

Very good point. And yes, authors should use style sheets. And browser
makers should support CSS a little better so that authors *can* use
style sheets.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido