Re: tlug: RTFM and advice

Darren Cook did state upon Thu, Oct 22, 1998 at 02:35:55PM +0000:

> I don't mind a RTFM response, but it always helps if you can give the name
> of the file I should be reading. Some software comes with a number of
> readme's as well as files called "install", and then there are the man
> pages once you've installed. It's confusing to know where to look.
>
> Eg. The Apache docs are organized by module name, so it's hard to learn how
> to do something if you don't already know how to do it. Many newsgroups
> questions get a one line reply with a URL pointing to the manual page,
> which is ideal, as that page normally answers the next two questions I had
> as well.

Umm, if you're installing the package, you should have read the install notes.

All of them.

Meanwhile, try 'man man' theres a -k option I might be able to interest you
in.  And depending on the origin 'al' or 'w' could be mighty nice.  And just
in case you've got a ratty man page, check out catman

*grep is your friend.

if you've got lots of subdirs, a tip that ISN'T inteh man pages.

find . type f -exec grep 'REGEXP' '{}' /dev/null \;

Make sure . is low enough that that won't take forever, or look up the
X option to find.  (or other options..)

-Scott

--
I don't play by anybodys rules, ||           LIFE IS.
I just play the game.		||         ^^^^^^^^^^^^