Re: tlug: A message to the "Old Guard" - was "HTML again"

Massive Snippage.

>  > Then I discovered TLUG. And the mailing list, and i found that when I asked
>  > a simple question, like how to get to my floppy drive, not only did i get
>  > the information i needed, i was also given a few tips and pointers on
>  > related information which ensured that i didn't have to ask the next
>  > question which was on my lips. Give me a human response over a man page any
>  > day.
> Sure, that is much easier, although sometimes people don`t even try to
> read man pages or README files and start complaining about things that
> are well documented. I have some experience with that and sometimes
> you just answer certain this kind of questions with RTFM instead of a
> proper response.

Massive Snippage.

Sometimes the right answer _IS_ RTFM.  This is part of the problem.

Someone asks, "What is the man page saying... I don't get it"  you have
an answerable question, and evidence that the person is trying.

Someone asks how do I find things out the answer is use man(1) and
check for /usr/doc /usr/info and /usr/share/{doc;info}

Its always better to ask than to be ignorant.  But no-one has infinite
time.  Its hard to keep the people who code review kernel patches
interested in questions answered in the man pages.

If someone hasn't bothered to read release notes or documentation, the
proper answer to their question is RTFM.  There is no other proper
response.  (And I've said that to paying customers too.  Occasionally
in so many words.)

If you haven't RTFM, then you haven't a leg to stand on when
complaining about anything IMHO.

-Scott  ... Who has seriously embarrased people who insisted on asking
    questions answered obviously in the release notes.

--
 "Should I try to be a straight 'A' student?
   If you are then you think too much."