RE: tlug: HTML again

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> Being able to concentrate on content and not think about
> HTML is fine, but when you concentrate on content and pay the price of
> getting broken HTML and not even knowing it, you're
> being ripped off.  The authors of every WYSIWYG HTML editor to
> date have done a great disservice to their customers in producing editors
that
> do this.

That depends on your definition of "broken" html. The code that comes out of
FrontPage 98 (and presumably NetObjects Fusion, etc.), when run through a
validator, gets flagged for things like not putting alt tags in purely
decorative image elements (the ones in active navigation buttons, for
example). The purpose of those empty alt tags, I presume, is to alert
text-based browsers like Lynx that there is an image there; but that's a
pretty minor concern for most users. Any careful user even of a WYSIWYG
editor can create a site that displays just fine in both MSIE and Navigator.
If that's the case, I wouldn't call the html "broken" any more than I would
call a color TV program broken because people using black-and-white TVs
can't differentiate things that depend on the color.

I was going to go on, but enough of this. I guess this kind of discussion
turns some people off the list, and I don't want to do any more of that.

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
dehoog@example.com