RE: tlug: HTML again

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, John De Hoog wrote:

>big disadvantage of Linux at this point in time. So is the lack of a
>FrameMaker or Quark XPress.

Be sure to tell any and all publishers of software you like on other platforms
that they should make a Linux port.  After all, they don't want to be the last
one on the bandwagon :-)

Speaking of HTML editors, I recently read a short blurb-review of the new
version of Hotmetal Pro that said it gives a lot more direct access to the
source (definitely a GoodThang; and editor that does not offer this choice is
fundamentaly dysfunctional) and also claimed that it generates 100% valid
HTML.  That last one I will have to see and independently verify before I
believe it (seeing as no WYSIWYG editor extent today has come even close to
that, including the one you use), but if it's true, that would be a marvelous
step forward.  It would make me recommend Hotmetal Pro to those wanted to go
the WYSIWYG route.

Being able to concentrate on content and not think about
HTML is fine, but when you concentrate on content and pay the price of
getting broken HTML and not even knowing it, you're
being ripped off.  The authors of every WYSIWYG HTML editor to date have done
a great disservice to their customers in producing editors that do this.  If
Hotmetal Pro is the first one to get it right, my hat is indeed off to them.
But I still wanna check the results for myself :-)

Have you ever used Hotmetal Pro? I tried one of the earlier versions about two
years back or so and was quite unimpressed, but I'm sure they must have made
strides since then.

BTW, Xemacs does give you the tags in menus, if you choose to use them, and it
also will use Netscape as a preview browser.

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section
3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>
3Web Channel <URL: http://www.3web.co.jp/index.en.html>