Re: tlug: Re: O"Reilly Books

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998, Maynard Hogg wrote:

>(a) I consider it dishonest to spent hours sullying their books
>and not buying anything. (No such scruples among the crowds at
>the 7-11, I note.)

And it's honest for some stores to nearly double the cover price of imported
books?  So much for scruples :-)

You might also try "virtual sullying."  That is, going to amazon.com, reading
all the reviews, then ordering the book from Skysoft :-)

I did that with an SQL primer that I have on order now.  It received 10s in
every review, ranging from professional database programmers down to complete
SQL beginners like me, and not one of the many people who reviewed it had
anything at all bad to say about it.  For those who might be interested, the
book is:

The Practical SQL Handbook: Using Structured Query Language
Judith S. Bowman, Sandra L. Emerson, Marcy Darnovsky
Addison-Wessley - ISBN 0201447878
List price: US $39.95

Jonathan Byrne
Media and Content Section