Re: tlug: Pine turns black, Pt II

    Jonathan> On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:
    >> xrdb -q |grep background
    >>
    >> My guess is that you set something like
    >>
    >> *background: black

    Jonathan> I didn't get a *background: black from the grep (did get
    Jonathan> white, though), but I fixed it by copying doing xrdb
    Jonathan> </etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources and then everything was fine
    Jonathan> again.  Not totally sure what broke what, but it's fixed
    Jonathan> now.

Jonathan,

	The "xrdb < /etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources" replaced all you
existing resources. You can also run it with a -m option which merges
new ones. I should have thought to tell you this. In your .xinitrc you
might have something to the effect of:

if [ -f /etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources ] ; then
	xrdb /etc/X11/xinit/.Xresources
fi

if [ -f $HOME/.Xresources ] ; then
	xrdb -m $HOME/.Xresources
fi

This loads the system defaults, and then merges in your own changes,
in $HOME/.Xresources.

Now you know more than you wanted to :)

Andy