Re: tlug: more starnge ISP behavior

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> OK, this is getting wierder (or I'm losing my marbles.)

Maybe they think some people have web pages that reference themselves
using a URL, so they want to encourage people to update them?
Pretty weak, tho--people should not have such web pages.

> I have an account with one of the ISPs in question so I decided to dig around a
> little. I ftp'd to the new server and behold - they already set up a bin
> directory for me?! I wonder what's in it...
>
> ftp> ls -l
> 200 PORT command successful.
> 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
> total 320
> ---x--x--x  1 root  wheel  155648 Jul 29 08:16 ls
> 226 Transfer complete.
> ftp> bye
>
> Wow, my very own ls....
>
> Geeze, disk space must be getting pretty cheap :)
>
> Please, somebody tell me there's a reason behind this.

That's a pretty big ls.  Maybe it's output from ls -l,
listing your previous files?  But then why is it execute-only,
and in a bin directory?  Maybe it's a real, big, old ls
sitting there for ftpd security?

--
David Beutel  "If I had a mine shaft, I don't think I would just abandon it.
jdb@example.com                 There's got to be a better way."