RE: tlug: Use .htaccess, or ?

>Buuut, if there's an .htaccess file in every directory then there are more
>files to keep track of...

It's also slowing the server down, as it has to look for the .htaccess file
for every html request (even if it's not there). So if you don't need it,
these are worth adding to httpd.conf:

#These stop it wasting time on each access.
<Directory />
    AllowOverride none
    Options FollowSymLinks
</Directory>

(the follow symbolic links is so it doesn't have to check to see if each
file is a symbolic link before following it).

>CGI is not really a valid option IMHO - way too much overhead for
something the
>server already offers.

Agreed for just checking logins - though it does allow you to control the
login screen, and dress it up with pretty HTML, and lots of explanation in
the native language of your users. Using normal authentication has the
browser bring up a dialog box.

Incidentally, in Japan it's very hard to afford enough bandwidth to stress
even a cheap computer (eg. a Pentium-133 can support a 128Kb line), so for
instance some of my cgi programs filter the output to remove comments and
lots of blank lines. It can also be worth rewriting heavily used pages
(like index.html) to be compact, especially if they were made by an HTML
generator.

Whoops, I've wandered off-topic again. :-)

Darren