Re: tlug: strange ISP behavior

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> This is a little off-topic, but most of you may find it interesting.
>
> I just noticed that two of the ISPs in Okayama are requiring that users upload
> their homepages again to the ISP's server because the server's name will change
> from *.or.jp to *.ne.jp
>
> Can someone explain the reasoning behind this?

I'm going for the "because they're weird" angle.  We made the same change
(around a year ago) and nobody had to re-upload anything.  We just
changed the threewebnet.or.jp domains to 3web.ne.jp and that was that.
We're maintaining both on DNS through next March.

The only other thing I can guess is that they're actually going to put in
some new servers at the same time and they plan on running the domains in
parallel on different hardware.  But why they don't just back up all the
user directories and restore them on the new machine (if that's what they're
doing), I don't understand.

Why don't you ask them why you have to do this?  Inquiring Minds are dying
to know, and if they didn't have a pretty good reason, I'd probably get a
different ISP :-)

Jonathan