RE: tlug: Use .htaccess, or ?

Hi,

On 20-Oct-98 Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:
> I'm developing a web site which will be mostly public, but one part will be
> accessible only to members of the organization, and at this point it looks
> like they will probably all be sharing one userid and password (yes, I know
> exactly how secure this isn't, but it wasn't my idea :-(    ).   This site
> will be running on a virtual server under Apache.   Is this best handled by
> using .htaccess, or should it be done through a CGI, or is there some other,
> better way to handle it?

As usual, there are two sides to the coin. If you choose to limit access via
the .htaccess file (as we have done on the TLUG server) then it's easier to
move directories within the web server as there's no need to update the
httpd.conf file. An added benefit is you don't need to restart the server
whenever you want to make a change.

Buuut, if there's an .htaccess file in every directory then there are more
files to keep track of...

CGI is not really a valid option IMHO - way too much overhead for something the
server already offers.

Regards,

Jim S.