Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Scott Perlman wrote:

> Scott Stone did state upon Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 03:50:16PM +0900:
> > On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> >
> > Not often, no.  If I spell my name to someone over the phone, it's because
> > there's lots of morons working at mail order places taking orders, and
> > they don't always listen well :)  Besides, it's a lot easier to spell
> > something out using a 26-character alphabet than it is to describe a kanji
> > verbally...
> >

> More difficult to describe to someone unfamilar with them sure, but Its
> quite rapid for people who know the Kanji, because you're not
> describing the stroke order or even the busyuu, you're going to give
> the onyomi or kunyomi of the solitaire Kanji.
>
> Its a lot easier to do that than to clarify t/b/p over the phone
> sometimes.  (If all you had to say was 't' great, but usually its
> a as in apple
> b as in banana ....)
>
> I can also come up with a nother common spelling of "Scott" without trying.
>
> And what if your name were spelled "Scot Stoen" and pronounced the same
> way it is now.  How much fun do you think it would be persuading people
> they didn't know the right way to spell it?
>
> -Scott Perlman NOT PEARLMAN DAMNIT...

hehe, have you ever told someone over the phone, "It's PERL, like in the
Language PERL, not the thing from the oysters!" ? :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)