Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

Scott Stone did state upon Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 03:50:16PM +0900:
> On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>
> Not often, no.  If I spell my name to someone over the phone, it's because
> there's lots of morons working at mail order places taking orders, and
> they don't always listen well :)  Besides, it's a lot easier to spell
> something out using a 26-character alphabet than it is to describe a kanji
> verbally...

More difficult to describe to someone unfamilar with them sure, but Its
quite rapid for people who know the Kanji, because you're not
describing the stroke order or even the busyuu, you're going to give
the onyomi or kunyomi of the solitaire Kanji.

Its a lot easier to do that than to clarify t/b/p over the phone
sometimes.  (If all you had to say was 't' great, but usually its
a as in apple
b as in banana ....)

I can also come up with a nother common spelling of "Scott" without trying.

And what if your name were spelled "Scot Stoen" and pronounced the same
way it is now.  How much fun do you think it would be persuading people
they didn't know the right way to spell it?

-Scott Perlman NOT PEARLMAN DAMNIT...

--
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity__| Scott H. Perlman
 or impress them with intelligence, __/ perlman@example.com