Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Come to think of it, (for the non-Japanese on the list) why are we
> in this country? It's an awful long way to come just for a job, unless
> it's an extraordinarily good one. I suspect many of us are here partly
> or even mainly because it's different from our home countries, and we

Not for the career opportunities, that's for sure.  I could make just as
much (maybe more) back in California than I do here, and I wouldn't face the
added challenge of having the vast majority of jobs closed to me by the fact
that I am not Japanese.  So as you say, I guess I'm here because it's
different from my home country and I find value in that difference. Short
answer: I'm here because I like it here.

Jonathan